Note: Cotton clothing of any kind is not acceptable for winter hiking. Cotton is cold when wet, does not dry or wick moisture away from the body and can lead to hypothermia. Cotton Kills!
Winter Hike Checklist
Catskill Winter Enthusiasts: Look ahead in the schedule for hikes that require “full winter gear”. Crampons are needed for boots and must be purchased. Approx. cost for Grivel crampons: $125. Snowshoes can be rented or purchased and prices vary greatly. Number of available snowshoes for rent is limited; place rental reservation early. Usual contacts: Eastern Mountain Sports for crampons and the rental or purchase of snowshoes or REI, or Campmor for purchase of crampons and snowshoes.
- EMS: 204 Glen Cove Road, Carle Place, 516-747-7360.
- REI: 144 Glen Cove Road, Carle Place, (516) 873-8540
- Campmor: 810 Route 17 North Paramus, New Jersey 07652; customer service/product information: 1-800-525-4784; orders only: 1-800-226-7667.
- Long Underwear (More Info)
- Wool or Fleece Pants
- Wool or fleece hat
- Scarf or balaclava
- All leather hiking boots or winter boots
- Liner Sox
- Wool Sox
- Snowshoes (More Info)
In your Pack
- Rain pants and jacket(More Info)
- Shell for gloves
- Extra Layers of Warm Clothing in plastic bag to stay dry
- Water (at least 2 liters)
- Extra food for emergency
- Other Stuff;
- Treking Poles