Note: Cotton clothing of any kind is not acceptable for winter hiking. Cotton is cold when wet, does not dry or wick moisture away from the body and can lead to hypothermia. Cotton Kills!
Winter Hike Checklist
Catskill Winter Enthusiasts: Look ahead in the schedule for hikes that require “full winter gear”. Crampons are needed for boots and must be purchased. Snowshoes can be rented or purchased and prices vary greatly. There are my different types of crampons and snowshoes so if you are unfamiliar with them, please contact a trip leader to make sure you get the appropriate ones.
- REI: 144 Glen Cove Road, Carle Place, (516) 873-8540
- Campmor: 810 Route 17 North Paramus, New Jersey 07652; customer service/product information: 1-800-525-4784; orders only: 1-800-226-7667.
- L.L Bean: Smith Haven Mall, 220 Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove, NY 11755, 1-888-660-1567
- Long Underwear (More Info)
- Wool or Fleece Pants
- Wool or fleece hat
- Scarf or balaclava
- All leather hiking boots or winter boots
- Liner Sox
- Wool Sox
- Snowshoes (More Info)
In your Pack
- Rain pants and jacket(More Info)
- Shell for gloves
- Extra Layers of Warm Clothing in plastic bag to stay dry
- Water (at least 2 liters)
- Extra food for emergency
- Other Stuff;
- Treking Poles